Everyday Salad Dressing

by Rachel on November 17, 2009

Try this and you'll never go back to store dressing, ever!

We eat a lot of salad at my house. My husband and children truly love salad. I know most people buy salad dressing. It’s one of those things that just seem silly to make at home given all of the options that are available in the stores. Let me just make a counter-argument for one moment. Simple vinaigrettes made with high quality olive oil and high quality vinegar just cannot be beat. They taste qualitatively better than any commercial dressing. Go to your neighborhood market and buy one bottle of better quality extra virgin olive oil and one bottle of better quality red wine vinegar and give this dressing a shot. I think after you try it once, you’ll be hooked. You can buy nearly the best olive oil on the planet and your homemade dressing will still be cheaper than commercial dressing.

• 1 C best quality extra virgin olive oil
  • C best quality red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard (or dry mustard)
Dissolve the salt in the vinegar. Keep stirring until all of the salt granules have disappeared. Add the olive oil and the mustard. Whisk until blended.  The dressing can be kept in the refrigerator for many weeks. Take out 15-30 minutes before using.

Drew November 17, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I agree, Rachel. Store bought dressing is an abomination.

Rachel Kaganoff Stern November 19, 2009 at 11:10 am

Unfortunately my children agree with you and have been known to say as much at other people's homes. Oy.

eileen kurtz January 21, 2010 at 6:23 pm

agreed. Sometimes I do oil & fresh lemon juice & herbs with a little salt & pepper. Yummy

Josie Foreman April 27, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I ran across your blog from tastespotting i adore your recipes . Thank you!
Warm Regards

Rachel April 27, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Josie: Thanks so much for the really kind words. Hope to see you back soon! Rachel

AM September 28, 2013 at 10:54 am

Hi Rachel,

Just wondering if you have any suggestions @ which quality extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) & red wine vinegar you prefer?

I have a friend from university, who lives in Greece, that used to send me his family’s homemade EVOO. Saddly, complications w/in their family has brought their production to a halt :(

So, any help to a really good quality EVOO would be sincerely appreciated.
It really makes such a huge difference in taste.

Thanks & thank you for the recipes. I cannot wait to try them ;)

AM