Just Fudge

by Rachel on November 21, 2009

Grandma Sofia's Fudge

I used to sit in my grandmother’s kitchen in Goleta, California and stir and stir this fudge.  I remember complaining about the constant stirring.  I didn’t complain about the end result.  If you don’t cook the marshmallow/sugar mixture long enough the fudge won’t set.  You’ll have mushy fudge that cannot be sliced.  It won’t be tragic, you just won’t be able to give them away.  You’ll have to eat them standing at the fridge with a spoon.  Really not such a bad outcome…  I made a batch recently with organic marshmallows (yes, they really make such a thing).  My sister thought that it “didn’t taste like Grandma’s fudge.”  Apparently if you want the “real” 1970s version you must use non-organic marshmallows.  Pick your poison.

• 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1 package best quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup stick margarine or unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 6 ounces evaporated milk
  • 20 regular sized marshmallows (not the eency-teency ones)
  • 2 cups sugar

Place first four ingredients into a bowl.

In a heavy saucepan put the evaporated milk, marshmallows and sugar. Cook for six minutes AFTER the mixture starts to boil, stirring constantly.

Pour the hot marshmallow mixture over the nuts and chocolate chips. Mix until blended. Pour mixture into a greased 9×9 pan. Refrigerate until set. Slice and serve.

Memória November 22, 2009 at 12:51 pm

ooo! A new blog! What a nice, rustic photo. I love fudge; I'm bookmarking this recipe!

Rachel Kaganoff Stern November 22, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Thanks Memoria. Let me know if you make it!

Three Cooks December 1, 2009 at 7:45 am

Rachael,

Pam from threemanycooks here. Just wanted to say thanks for all the traffic you've sent our way. Looks like we have a lot in common. I'm followin' you!

Linn @ Swedish home cooking April 4, 2010 at 11:09 pm

What I love about easter is all the sweet stuff. I’m just going for a big French Easter lunch outside of Paris at friends. Mmm. Can’t wait for the dessert!

Loul@ April 5, 2010 at 8:33 am

I’d never try to prepare a fudge. I think that it’s a good oppotunity to begin with your recipe (sorry for my bad english… I’ve learned at school there is a long time and I forgot a lot…)

Ann April 5, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Looks so authentic and really reminds me of mackinac Island where I get lots of flavourful fudges…pic looks super yum

Chef Dennis April 6, 2010 at 4:02 am

wow….thanks for sharing this priceless family recipe…..I do love fudge!! My girls will love to make this.

Rachel April 6, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Chef Dennis: I hope you and your girls enjoy this. My boys love it!

Jan April 11, 2012 at 4:48 am

This looks delicious, but what size package of chocolate chips did you use as they come in two sizes? I love fudge and would like to try this recipe if you could please let me know.

Jan Proctor

Rachel April 11, 2012 at 7:34 am

Jan: In the 1950s everyone assumed that packaging would stay the same size forever. Over the years lots of recipes written by my grandmother, and everyone else’s grandmother, have had to be adjusted as package size has gone down. She intended for us to use a 12-oz bag of chips, which was the standard in those days. Today most of the bags are 11-oz (or Costco sized and a million ounces!). Start with 12-oz, that should work just fine.
Enjoy,