Zucchini Bread

by Rachel on February 19, 2010

I'd bake this once a week - just for the aroma.

We made this zucchini bread twice over our winter holiday this year.  It is so, so good.  It fills the house with that perfect cozy baking smell.  The crust has just the right crunch when it first comes out of the oven.  It is delicious the second day – but will lose the outside crunch as it cools.  By the way, my younger son designed the stunning layout of the photo above.  He was six when he did it.  Quite an eye for design, don’t you think?

Zucchini Bread (2 loaves)

• 3 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1 scant teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 generous cups grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream eggs and sugar together.  Add the oil.

Sift together the dry ingredients.  Add dry ingredients to egg/sugar/oil mixture.  Fold in the grated zucchini.  Grease and flour two standard bread pans or one bundt pan.  Pour in batter.

Bake for 1 hour or until cake tester comes out clean.

deana@lostpastremembered February 21, 2010 at 11:25 am

That photo makes Zucchini bread look like a million… really lovely for the lowly bread!

Rachel February 21, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Ah yes, but this Zucchini bread isn’t lowly in the least! You must stop being so mean to poor old zucchini bread. What did it ever do to you??

Megan February 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm

I love finding new bread recipes to try. Baking has become one of my favorite past times so I am definitely looking forward to trying out this recipe!

Cooking Rookie March 5, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Lovely bread!

Steph (@ mediterraneanmiss) March 7, 2010 at 4:39 am

Wow this looks amazing, your son certainly does have an eye for presentation. He’ll be a whiz at whipping up romantic dinners for some lucky lady one day ^~

I can’t believe I haven’t made zucchini bread yet this year! I wonder if I could take this recipe directly and sub the AP flour for my AP gluten-free flower mix. Hm. Either way, I’m off to buy zucchini at the market today for sure! haha.
Great post, I’ll blog about the bread when I make my own <3

bev March 7, 2010 at 8:45 pm

That bread is so gorgeous I almost feel badly for asking, but what kind of flower is that?

Rachel March 7, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Bev: That is the flower of the pineapple guava tree. It works very well as a hedge and the flowers are both beautiful and edible!!