This soup can be prepared in under 30 minutes start to finish. It requires a trip to Trader Joe’s since it relies on one of their Simmer Sauces as a base (and all of the other ingredients can be found at TJ’s as well). If you don’t want to go to Trader Joe’s, or don’t have a Trader Joe’s, I’m sure you can find some other prepared Indian sauce, or skip the whole thing and eat out. Oh, and in case you worry about such things, I don’t work for Trader Joe’s, I’m not related to anyone who does and they’ve never given me a nickel, let alone any free food. Despite their lack of largesse, I continue to be a devoted shopper and I do occasionally try to think creatively about how one might use their products – since it’s clear to me I’m not the only one who likes to shop there.
Really Quick Indian Soup
- 1 jar Masala Simmer Sauce from Trader Joe’s
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth (preferably organic, low salt)
- 1 14 ½ ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups sliced white mushrooms (or use the 10-oz bag of sliced white mushrooms also found at TJ’s)
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 packets Savory Choice Liquid Turkey Broth Concentrate OR Trader Joe’s Liquid Turkey Concentrate
- 1 ½ cups cooked white rice (or one packet TJ’s Frozen Jasmine Rice – prepared according to package instructions)
Put TJ’s Masala Simmer Sauce in a soup pot. Fill the empty jar of Masala Sauce with bottled water to make sure you don’t miss a drop of this tasty sauce, and put the water in the soup pot. Add the can of coconut milk, chicken broth, canned tomatoes, the turkey concentrate and the salt. Bring to a simmer.
Add the four chicken breasts to the soup and simmer for 20 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked through pull it out of the soup with a pair of tongs, chop it into small cubes and immediately add back to the soup.
Add the cooked rice and the sliced mushrooms. Simmer until the mushrooms are cooked through, approximately eight minutes, and serve.