Four Bean Salad

by Rachel on March 22, 2010

There is a reason this has been around forever.

This was always in my Grandmother’s fridge.  I know they sell massive jugs of something they call “Four Bean Salad” at Costco.  Costco’s does not hold a candle to my Grandmother’s recipe.  And really people, this isn’t hard to make unless you find can openers daunting, and if you do, you really should stop looking at food blogs.

Four Bean Salad (8-10 small servings)

• 1 10-oz package frozen lima beans
  • 1 can red beans
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 1 can cut string beans
  • ½ cup canola oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup white wine vinegar
  • ½ red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced and par boiled (don’t overdo the carrots, just boil them until they are nice and tender NOT mushy)

Prepare the lima beans according to package instructions (they usually need to be simmered for 15 minutes).

Drain and rinse the beans (except the green beans, just drain them, they don’t need to be rinsed).  Mix all the beans together in a medium bowl.  Add the red onion and the carrots.

Beat together the oil, sugar, and vinegar.  Pour over the bean and vegetable mixture. Allow to sit overnight in the refrigerator before serving.  If you’ve been struggling with what to feed your newly converted vegan friends the next time they come over – add this to the list.

Valen March 22, 2010 at 11:00 am

I love your blog, lots of pretty photos and fab recipes! I have always loved bean salad and this looks great!

Rachel March 22, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Thanks Valen. My Mother always told me I was full of beans. Must have been why I liked this salad so much.

grace March 29, 2010 at 1:57 am

my family’s recipe for three bean salad is good. it just makes sense that four bean salad must be better. :)

Patti at Worth The Whisk April 8, 2010 at 10:41 am

THANK YOU for reminding me of Four Bean Salad. My family never made the stuff, so I was a newbie in college when first discovered it. We love beans in this household, so I am making your recipe this week, thanks.

Rachel April 11, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Patti: Did you try the bean salad?

Alicia May 31, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I love Cosco four beans salad very flavorful, we just ran out so i looked up some recipes for it and i got to try this. Sounds delicious!

Duane April 13, 2013 at 9:48 am

I love this recipe and I replaced the carrots with shoe peg corn. Delicious! Thanks for posting this recipe

Jenny June 9, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Hi there..i recently had weight loss surgery and would love to try this recipe as im obsessed with Costco’s version..but I prefer to do things homemade…however…i don’t think i can handle all the sugar…is it ok to substitute some or all of the sugar with truvia or splenda?

Rachel June 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Hi Jenny:

I would try it with the Truvia, rather than the splenda, and see how it works out. Good luck!