Matzoh Brei

by Rachel on March 31, 2010

Matzoh Brei from the Matzoh Master

During Passover it is traditional (required in observant households) to avoid all foods that use leavening. Matzoh replaces bread in the diet. Breakfasts can be a bit of a challenge since many breakfast items are leavened. Matzoh brei is one way to incorporate matzoh into one’s breakfast – and therefore get around the whole leavening problem.  My father is the Matzoh Master.  He can make matzoh a thousand different ways, all better than anything you ever imagined possible.  In fact, his matzoh brei is so good we eat it year round, not just when required!

Matzoh-Brei (4 servings)

• 8 eggs, beaten
  • a pinch of pepper
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • 4 matzoh squares
  • ½ onion, minced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons oil

Put the beaten eggs in a medium bowl.

Break two of the pieces of matzoh in half and hold them under running cold water for 5 seconds. Break up the dampened matzoh. Put them in the beaten eggs. Repeat with the remaining matzos.

Stir the matzos in the eggs and let them sit for five minutes while you are sautéing the onions. Pour the beaten eggs and matzos in with the sautéed onions. Move the eggs around the way you would if you were scrambling eggs. Depending on whether or not you have a non-stick pan you can try and flip the omelet or put the whole pan under a broiler until it is golden.  Serve.

Elin March 31, 2010 at 8:32 am

Hi Rachel…thanks for sharing this recipe :) Will try this out when I get this matzos.

sippitysup March 31, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Very nice. I mentioned this dish in my recent Passover post, but I have never actually eaten it. no I am one step closer… GREG

Elizabeth March 31, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I love matzo-brei. I had never eaten it before but saw the recipe in one of Ruth Reichl’s books. Hers didn’t incorporate onions. Next time I’ll definitely use onions. What an easy meal! Fix a little salad and there you go.

Rachel March 31, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Greg: Try it – seriously. It’s actually quite good with or without the religious connotation!

Rachel March 31, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Elizabeth: I have other Matzoh-brei recipes up my sleeve. I’m going to try to get another one posted this week.

Cara April 5, 2010 at 8:53 am

I love matzoh brie! I grew up eating one just like this – more like scrambled eggs with matzoh, and savory. But my friend introduced me to a sweet, french toast- like version that I am really liking this year. Yesterday I added grated apples to the batter and that was delicious too!

Elizabeth April 5, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Hello Rachel – I fixed matzo brei with onions this morning and it was great. Just a couple of questions: What are the best matzo brands? I bought Streit’s Unsalted, it was ok, but I think there may be better Matzo(s) out there. And why would this brand not be adequate for Passover? As you have probably guessed, I am not Jewish. Just curious because it says this on the box, that it is not ok for Passover usage. Ok, 3 questions, my Jewish friend Raisa says there is no such thing as the plural form of matzo. She made a big deal of correcting me on this issue over the phone the other night. The box of Streit’s calls them MATZOS. Which is why I’m wondering if Raisa is yanking me or if Streit’s just isn’t very good matzo and they aren’t Passover-approved and they don’t even know there is no such thing as matzos… I understand if you don’t answer!

Rachel April 6, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Elizabeth: I did some research for you. Matzo is a transliteration of a Hebrew word. The transliterated plural form is either Matzos, which I believe is really more English than Hebrew – or Matzot – which is a truer transliteration of the Hebrew plural form. As for Matzoh and Passover, there is a specific amount of time that the flour can be in contact with water for it to be truly Kosher for Passover. Those Matzoh will be marked Kosher for Passover. Jews still eat Matzoh when it is not Passover and that flour may come in contact with water for a longer period of time. We eat Manischewitz Matzoh because it is widely available and we like the taste. I assume that during Passover most of the Matzoh available in the store is Kosher for Passover. Let me know if you have any other questions. I’m so delighted that you are so curious!! Be well. Rachel