Beluga Lentil Salad

by Rachel on April 2, 2010

Beluga Lentil Salad

I seem to be in a Lentil rut.  I’m not sure whether that is a diagnosable condition.  I’ll have to ask one of my therapist friends.  I’ve been making Lentil Soup a bit more often than the average Joe (who has probably NEVER made lentil soup). Today I decided to take on Black Beluga Lentils.  Oh man, are they ever good, I mean – really, really good.  My husband had THREE servings.  He’s not a three servings guy.  He’s a lean, mean fighting machine.  He’s been known to have three servings of apple pie, over a three-day period.  But three servings of something all in one sitting, no way – not until he met Beluga Lentil Salad.  It was love at first bite.

Beluga Lentils - Gorgeous

Beluga Lentil Salad (6 servings)

• 1 cup Beluga lentils, rinsed and picked over
  • 1 cup Persian cucumbers, finely diced
  • 1 cup small grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • ¼ cup cilantro, packed
  • 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
  • ¼ cup Everyday Salad Dressing (see prior post) OR ¼ cup store bought vinaigrette
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt

Just a spoonful of lentils helps the medicine go down

Once the lentils are rinsed and picked over place them in a saucepan and cover them with three inches of water.  Bring them to a boil and then turn them down to a simmer.  Simmer them until they are cooked through.  This should take between 25 and 30 minutes.  Drain the lentils.  Toss them with the salad dressing and the teaspoon of coarse salt and allow them to sit for five minutes.  Everyone needs a five minute break from time to time, even lentils.

Leisurely Lentils

In another slightly larger bowl toss together the Persian cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro and shallots.  Once the lentils have rested for five minutes, toss everything together.  Check the seasoning and then serve.

Beluga Lentil Salad Head-On

Lazaro April 2, 2010 at 9:44 am

Glad to have met you on food buzz. Looking forward to following your truly inspirational blog here. The photos are amazingly vibrant and alive. Wow! Have a wonderful weekend!

Rachel April 2, 2010 at 9:48 am

Lazaro: Thanks so much for the kind words. I must admit, I had a really good time photographing those lentils. It was early in the morning, the light was glorious, and those black lentils just popped in front of the camera. We’re in Utah skiing at the moment and we plan to have a GREAT weekend. I hope you do the same.

heather April 2, 2010 at 1:35 pm

gorgeous salad. and as a dietitian, i love that it’s so healthy and packed full of color and nutrients. i only wish my boyfriend wanted to eat them as much as i do! he’ll learn to enjoy them, right? we’ll see…

cheers,

*heather*

Rachel April 2, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Heather: Your boyfriend should like this lentil salad. Seriously. It’s so tasty he won’t even notice it’s good for him!

Stella April 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm

This looks so fresh and healthful, Rachel. I love lentils. Not sure if I’ve had Beluga, but I love all the kinds I’ve ever had. I look for them next time I’m out…thanks

kathy April 5, 2010 at 10:55 am

Wow! Anothe yummy lentil recipe. Thanks! This salad looks yummy! :-)

Carolanne April 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I have been on a bean/lentil fix lately! I have about 6 types of lentil and 10 types of beans in my cabinet right now…I got some beluga lentils @ Wholefoods last week. I am going to try your recipe, but I may add some crumbled feta & some chopped kalamata olives :) I, too, make homemade dressing–I use Costco (Kirkland) balsamic vinegar–that stuff is super-tasty

Rachel April 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Feta and Kalamata olives would be a perfect addition. Enjoy!

jessica July 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I make a similar salad that has red peppers and purple onions. I also add a little cumin to the dressing to mix it up. Lentils are delicious!

Rachel July 14, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I love lentils too. I need to try it with cumin.
Cheers,