Lemon Bars

by Rachel on April 11, 2010

I just love a good lemon bar and these are GOOD.

I love lemons.  It has always been a mystery to me how anyone could not like them.  I love Lemonade, Lemon Bars. Lemon Icebox Desert, Lemon Drops (with and without alcohol) and Lemon Poppy Seed Cake just to name a few fine foods that have either graced this blog – or will in the not-so-distant future.  I draw the line at cars that are lemons.  I had a lemon – a car I mean – once.  It was grim.  I had one kid in a carseat and I was pregnant with a second, I was working full time, and I had a brand spankin’ new Mercedes SUV that was a total LEMON.  I went back and forth to the dealer having it repaired.  Each time I would have to remove and then re-install a carseat, all the while HUGELY pregnant, cranky and  in desperate need of a lemon-based dessert. If only someone had made me a batch.

Lemon Bars (30 bars)

Crust:

• 2 cups flour, sifted
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, firm

Topping:

• 2 cups sugar (scant if you like a tart topping)
  • 2 lemons, juiced and rind grated
  • 4 tablespoons of flour
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift flour and powdered sugar together. Mix in the butter with a pastry blender until thoroughly blended (do not over-mix). Pat mixture into bottom of a greased 9x13x2 baking pan.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven.

Lemon, Lemon, Lemon!

To make topping mix flour and sugar, add to beaten eggs; add lemon juice and salt. Mix thoroughly. Pour topping over crust, return to oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Let cool before cutting into squares.

bcgw April 11, 2010 at 12:05 pm

That looks just painfully good, and such beautiful colors for a photo..

Sorry For The Convenience April 11, 2010 at 6:04 pm

Must. Eat. Lemon. Bars.

I like that the recipe makes 30 bars, or as I call it, one serving. Looks delicious!

chocolate shavings April 11, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Those look perfectly lemoney and gooey.. delicious!

Rachel April 11, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Chocolate Shavings: I hear you have some issues with lemon – maybe a slight OBSESSION with lemon? Did you see my prior post Lemon Cranberry Buttermilk Biscuits?

Rachel April 11, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Sorry for the Convenience: Must. Make. Lemon. Bars. In. Order. To. Eat. Lemon. Bars.

Just a suggestion.

Michelle April 12, 2010 at 3:31 pm

These look perfect! I wish I had one or two right now actually.

Rachel April 12, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Michelle: Me too. Perhaps we can talk someone into making us some?

Chef Dennis April 12, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Now thats a lemon bar….you can just smell the lemons and taste the sweet tartness…wow

Alejandra April 12, 2010 at 7:38 pm

I love lemon bars! I was just talking with someone at work today about them…going over just how much I love them. I also dont’ understand how some people dislike them. Lemon bars are actually one of the first things I ever baked when I was a little girl.

Rachel April 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Alejandra: I’m with you! We should make them together sometime!

Memoria April 12, 2010 at 11:04 pm

These lemon bars look so refreshing and delcious. Lovely photos.

Cindy April 13, 2010 at 10:17 pm

These look so good! I love lemon bars and these appear to have such a good crust to filling ratio! Mmm!

Claire @ keepsmeoutofmischief May 12, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Mmmmmmmm! These look gorgeous, so summery.

Brandy May 15, 2011 at 8:55 am

I Just love lemon bars!!!!

Julia May 20, 2011 at 6:31 pm

My son dreams of lemon bars! they are his absolute favorite and are the only things he suggests when asked what kind of dessert he wants for any occasion.

It is his graduation and I must serve lemon bars for his special day. Can you think of any way to dress them up by way of a celebration – we won’t be serving the usual obligatory graduation cake…he wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole, but I want the dessert to feel more special than usual considering….

Rachel May 20, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Julia: Wow – that is a great question. People do all sorts of things with cupcakes. They stack them – but lemon bars would just crush each other and stick together. In my mind’s eye I’m seeing one of those pretty multi-tiered cupcake display towers with lemon bars and really beautiful bright flowers interspersed with them. Do you know anyone who grows nasturtiums? They are edible and really bright. They would look great in between the lemon bars. You could even do the flower thing on a flat platter. OR, if he wants lemon bars and other people would be willing to eat something like a brownie you could cut the bars and the brownies exactly the same size and make a big flat checkerboard on a square serving plate. That would be really cool. Does that help???

Rachel May 20, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Brandy: I love them too. And I like the whole notion of “happily blended.”
Cheers,

Julia May 20, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Love the idea of the nasturtiums! may need a trip to the flower mart. thanks so much Rachel. I’ll take a picture and send it your way!

Rachel May 20, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Julia: Before you go to the flower mart look in your neighbor’s gardens. Lots of people have them planted these days and they are in full bloom at the moment. Maybe someone will let you steal (oops – borrow) a few. I would love to see the photo. Maybe we can even add it to the post!

Christine April 22, 2012 at 8:14 pm

made these tonight! so yummy!! thanks for a great recipe i’ll be using again and again! :)

Rachel April 22, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Christine:
My grandmother would be so thrilled to know how many people are enjoying her lemon bar recipe!!
Happy Sunday to you,

Kim May 16, 2012 at 7:57 am

I made these a few days ago and my husband dubbed them, “The best lemon bars ever.” And he doesn’t even love lemon as much as I do!! Thank you for sharing this deliciously wonderful recipe.

Rachel May 16, 2012 at 8:01 am

Kim:
It makes me SO happy that my grandmother lives on through this blog and all of my readers (and bakers!!).
Cheers,