Hot Mushroom Salad

by Rachel on May 11, 2010

This feels like a special dish, but don't save it for a special occasion.

This makes a wonderful first course for an elegant dinner party or holiday meal.  Then again it’s also good on Tuesday with a grilled cheese sandwich.  Live a little.

Hot Mushroom Salad (4-6 servings)

• 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
  • 6 garlic cloves, chopped fine
  • 1/2 tsp honey
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms (use whatever mushrooms you like – if I’m feeling lazy I just use two of the 10-oz packs of sliced crimini mushrooms from TJ’s)
  • 8 cups mixed baby greens

Combine 4 tablespoons of the oil, the vinegar, tarragon, garlic and honey in a small bowl.  Whisk until blended.  Season with salt and pepper.  The dressing can be made one day ahead.  Store covered in the fridge, but serve at room temperature.

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the mushrooms and sauté until wilted, about 5-7 minutes.

Place the mixed greens in a large bowl.  Toss with half of the dressing.  Divide the greens between the plates.  Spoon the sautéed mushrooms atop the salads.  Drizzle the mushrooms on each plate with a little of the remaining dressing.  Serve immediately.  There is something really special about hot mushrooms on top of the cool salad.

stefania May 11, 2010 at 7:58 am

wow..buono !

Drew May 12, 2010 at 10:44 am

This looks terrific.

BTW, your Rosemary French Toast recipe was a big hit at Mother’s Day brunch!

Kathryn April 19, 2011 at 5:32 am

I thought I’d give this a shot, though with the ingredients left in my fridge. I added hot sugarsnap and mangetout peas to the salad, and crumbled cheshire cheese over the top – a little indulgence! Delicious recipe, though. Thank you for brightening up my afternoon! :)

Rachel April 19, 2011 at 7:16 am

Kathryn: That sounds like a great combination. I’ll try the crumbled cheese idea next time!
Cheers,

Chris Hunt May 6, 2011 at 3:33 am

“Combine 4 tablespoons of the oil [...] in a small bowl.

[...]

Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy medium skillet”

That leaves 4 tablespoons of the original 10 unaccounted for, should it have been 8 tablespoons that went into the dressing? a 1:1 oil to vinegar ratio seems a bit sharp.

Rachel May 6, 2011 at 9:12 am

Chris: I apologize about the complete math collapse. That’s rare for me. I’m not near all of my cooking notes. As soon as I get to them I’ll confirm the correct numbers and update the recipe. Once I do I’ll send you a note.