This makes a wonderful first course for an elegant dinner party or holiday meal. Then again it’s also good on Tuesday with a grilled cheese sandwich. Live a little.
Hot Mushroom Salad (4-6 servings)
- 10 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds assorted wild mushrooms (use whatever mushrooms you like – if I’m feeling lazy I just use two of the 10-oz packs of sliced crimini mushrooms from TJ’s)
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
Combine 4 tablespoons of the oil, the vinegar, tarragon, garlic and honey in a small bowl. Whisk until blended. Season with salt and pepper. The dressing can be made one day ahead. Store covered in the fridge, but serve at room temperature.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until wilted, about 5-7 minutes.
Place the mixed greens in a large bowl. Toss with half of the dressing. Divide the greens between the plates. Spoon the sautéed mushrooms atop the salads. Drizzle the mushrooms on each plate with a little of the remaining dressing. Serve immediately. There is something really special about hot mushrooms on top of the cool salad.