Chocolate Mint Icebox Dessert

by Rachel on May 26, 2010

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream with a crunchy crust. Love it!

This dessert is based on an icebox dessert my Grandmother used to make with Thrifty’s peppermint ice cream.  In years past one could only find peppermint ice cream in December. This has changed, at least in my hood. We seem to have peppermint ice cream in our local freezer section year round. If you want the peppermint version of this recipe, click here. No matter where you live I’m certain you can find mint chocolate chip ice cream year-round.  Although the recipe specifies Oreo cookies, truth be told, I use Newman’s Organic Chocolate filled cookies that look just like Oreos but are made with ingredients I can pronounce.  I have a strict policy of only eating foods that I can pronounce and that have fewer than four syllables.  It’s a good rule.  Any crunchy chocolate cookie will work.  You could even make your own cookie and use that.

Crust:

• 2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs (just the cookie part, not the filling – if you figure out a good use for the filling – besides just eating it then and there – let me know)
  • ¼ cup butter

Chocolate Spread:

• ½ cup butter, softened
  • 3 ounces best quality semisweet chocolate
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 quart mint chocolate chip ice cream

Crust:

Over low heat melt the butter and then add the cookie crumbs. Stir 3-4 minutes.  Put half of the cookie mixture in the bottom of a 9×9-inch pan. Reserve the remainder.

Chocolate Spread:

Place the chocolate in a double boiler and stir over medium heat until the chocolate is melted.  Take the pan off of the heat and allow the chocolate to cool slightly.  Beat the egg yolks with a whisk and gradually add the melted chocolate whisking constantly.  If you dump hot chocolate into the yolks you’ll have a concoction no one will want to eat.  Even the most obsessed chocolate lovers draw the line at scrambled eggs and chocolate.  Cream the butter with the powdered sugar and vanilla.  Add the chocolate/egg mixture.  Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold beaten egg whites in to batter mixture.  It’s an odd looking mixture.  Don’t worry – it freezes well and tastes even better!

Spread half chocolate mixture over crumbs.  Put in freezer for 20 minutes.  Spread 1-quart mint chocolate chip ice cream over chocolate mixture, freeze (this takes another 20-30 mins).  Keep the remaining chocolate spread in the fridge.  After the ice cream layer is frozen, spread remaining chocolate mixture over top.  Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top of chocolate mixture, pressing them into the ice cream with a spatula. Freeze again.  Enjoy.

I need some NOW.

Jen May 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I’m sold. I can just picture that in my grandma’s beat up aluminum 9×12 pan. I swear she had the same baking pans her entire life. Her desserts were excellent and unchanging. Once she found her signature dishes, she stuck by them!

This seems like it would make an excellent summery dessert for the next time we have friends over. Thanks!

Rachel May 26, 2010 at 6:43 pm

I have my grandmother’s beat up aluminum 9×12 pan! Mine had the same pans her entire life too, and passed them on to my mom, my sister and me. Enjoy! My grandmother would have been thrilled to know that people were trying her recipes!

Memoria May 27, 2010 at 12:19 am

…or you could make your own mint ice cream! I love making it with infused mint leaves. YUM!! This dessert looks absolutely divine!!

Marly May 27, 2010 at 9:17 am

I just bought some mint to plant in the garden today. This is exactly the kind of recipe that would be great – following Memoria’s advice to make your own ice cream. We’re vegan so it might be kind of tricky to veganize, but I’m usually willing to give it a try. Thanks for the recipe and pics!

Lauren May 27, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Yum! This looks so delicious. My mouth is watering….

Amanda Formaro May 27, 2010 at 7:05 pm

This looks fabulous. I love mint desserts!

Rick May 28, 2010 at 7:12 am

I could really go for one of those right now.

bittersweetsugarandsarcasm.blogspot.com

Rachel May 28, 2010 at 7:16 am

Lauren: Make it when you get back from reunions and invite me over! Have a great trip. Love, Rachel

Rachel May 28, 2010 at 7:17 am

Marly: If you figure out a way to veganize it – post it, or send it to me and I’ll post it!! Cheers, Rachel

Rachel May 28, 2010 at 7:18 am

It would clearly be even better with home made ice cream. My step-mom makes mint infused gelato. I should try it that way!

Betty May 28, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I wish I had some of my grandmas’ recipes! (I don’t even remember either of my grandmas using recipes, though.) This dessert looks amazing- I love mint and chocolate together. I also love the fact that you can make it ahead of time and just pull it out of the freezer when you need it. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. Betty

Karly June 1, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Oh, my mint loving family would just go nuts for this! Thanks for a great recipe!

Love your photography!

Rachel June 1, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Karly: Thanks for the compliment. My family LOVES mint too. I think it is a love it or hate it sort of thing!

Sara's Sweet Surprise March 7, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Hello~I’m new to your charming blog. Looks like I’ve a new recipe to try on my family and friends. When I find recipes that calls for an Oreo type of cookie (without the cream center) I substitute with Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers.
They work like a charm. That’s what I’ll be using for your mint/ice cream confection. Thank you for sharing.

Sweet wishes,
Sara

Rachel March 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Sara – thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the Nabisco Wafers. They aren’t all natural, and I’m pretty fussy about those sorts of things, so I’ll stick with the ones I use! Either way – it will taste great!!

Lin April 27, 2011 at 5:28 am

So the chocolate spread doesn’t have to be cooked? But there’re eggs :O Anyway this looks delicious.

Rachel April 27, 2011 at 7:37 am

Lin: Since the egg mixture is frozen any possible bacteria in the egg mixture will be killed in the freezing process. Give it a shot!

Kat April 28, 2011 at 5:38 am

Sorry, I just read the recipe/comments, and while the treat looks delicious, the comment is technically wrong. Freezing only kills some bacteria, not all, and notably it does not kill salmonella, it only puts it in a state of suspension so it cannot multiply. This does, of course, reduce the risk significantly – most cases of salmonella in eggs come from improperly cooked eggs that are warm enough for the bacteria to multiply in great numbers.

If really concerned about the possibility of bacteria in your eggs, it is recommended instead that you use pasteurized eggs, which are available in both shell and liquid format.

Michelle June 28, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Oh mercy, I am totally making this. Wonderful!

Susie February 29, 2012 at 10:13 am

So yummy! We would LOVE for you to come link this up in our Oreo #100 Birthday Party link up! Thank you!

Robbie March 19, 2012 at 12:33 am

I sent this recipe to my mom and she made it for me. This is one of the best cakes I have ever had! Every bite was a little taste of heaven. I cannot wait til she makes it again. Perfection!!!

Rachel March 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

Hi Robbie:
I love that you gave the recipe to your mom to make it for you. How lucky you are to have such a terrific mom! Everybody needs a mom who will cook for them, especially if they are willing to make Chocolate Mint Icebox Dessert!!
Best to you,

lynabelles May 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm

i love love love mint chocolate! im definitely giving this a try. thanks for sharing. =)

lindsey August 31, 2012 at 8:53 pm

The middle. Mix center of Oreo and Heavy Whipping Cream together add a touch of Vanilla, creating your own whipped topping.

Ebee March 14, 2013 at 3:27 am

Rachel, thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to try this. I love chocolate and love mint. But you said you would post a recipe “next December”, but there was no corresponding recipe posted Dec. 2010. Was that supposed to be for peppermint ice cream?

Peggy March 15, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I’m curious about something. It looks like there is another layer of something (graham cracker crumbs?) between the cookie crumbs & the ice cream. Please explain.

Rachel March 15, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Peggy:

There is a chocolate spread layer between the cookie crumbs and the ice cream. That layer is explained in the recipe – both in terms of its ingredients, and how to include it in the dessert. Take a look at the recipe again.
All the best,

Rachel March 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Ebee: I did post the Peppermint Ice Cream version of this recipe, but not in December. I’ve updated this post with a link to the Peppermint Ice Cream post. Both are really terrific. Try it both ways!
Best,