Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies

by Rachel on June 4, 2010

Not just for the holidays, Molasses Spice Cookies. Good all year long!

I am partial to chewy cookies.  I like them ever so much.  I modified my favorite chewy cookie recipe (Honey Spice Cookies, already on this blog) and took them from being essentially a sugar cookie to being essentially a chewy ginger bread cookie.   The end result was essentially fabulous.

Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies (3 dozen cookies)

• 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon ground ginger (if you absolutely love ginger you can double the ginger – it has a very strong flavor – so do what you prefer)
  • 1 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
  • ¾ cup butter
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup molasses
  • 1 egg
  • ¾ cup turbinado sugar (turbinado sugar is golden in color and has a much larger grain size than regular sugar)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together the dry ingredients.

On low heat melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan.  Cool the butter slightly, and then add the sugar, and mix well.  Add the molasses.  Stir until completely blended (this will take a minute or two).  Add the egg (you don’t need to beat the egg first).  Blend well.

It's true love. You just can't fight it.

Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.  (I do all of the mixing in the original saucepan – rather than dirty an additional bowl).

Chill the dough for 30 minutes (I just put the whole saucepan in the fridge – again, no need to dirty another dish).  Using a small spoon, scoop out some batter and roll it into a ball slightly smaller than a walnut in size.  Put the turbinado sugar in a flat bowl.  Roll the balls of cookie dough in the sugar.  Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Cool the cookies for a minute on the sheet before moving them.  Place the cookies on wax paper on the counter to cool completely before storing.

Put vanilla ice cream between two cookies and freeze them.

HeatherFeather June 5, 2010 at 7:18 am

Your photos make these look so very good. I love spice cookies, I think they are in my top ten list of favorite cookie types.

Rachel June 5, 2010 at 7:25 am

Hi Heather Feather: I love spice cookies too! Give these a shot. They are chewy and yummy!

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro June 6, 2010 at 8:53 am

These look delicious!!!!!!! You’re right, I’d eat these year-round. :)

[K]

Soma June 13, 2010 at 7:21 am

I am partial to chewy cookies and to ginger too. This has to be year round thing for me. Love it and have bookmarked it.

Sammie June 13, 2010 at 8:48 am

this is absolutely a treat. i can make these for my kid’s party. im sure my kid will be impressed of me. :)

Kel June 13, 2010 at 10:18 am

This picture is fantastic and is making me want to bake my own favorite Chewy Ginger cookie!

Next time, try adding 1/2 teaspoonful of ground black pepper…it just does something special!

Rachel June 13, 2010 at 11:52 am

Kel: Thanks for the compliment! I’ll try the pepper. Great idea!

Michelle June 13, 2010 at 6:46 pm

These look delicious! And your photos are so beautiful!

Memoria June 13, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I would eat these all year, too. I remember making something similar around Christmas time, and they were amazing. I must try out this recipe.

M. June 14, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I love this kind of cookies….but haven’t had any in a while….thanks for reminder… and I absolutely loooove ginger, so will be doubling it!!!

Joni July 29, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I love the look of these cookies too, and was just wondering how to do justice to the molasses in my pantry. Will definitely be making these, and posting them on my own food blog! :)

Jocelyn November 24, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Just came across this recipe today and I had to try it out immediately! I love chewy molasses cookies, and I love how flat yours are!

I’m just wondering how you got them so flat, because mine hardly spread/flattened at all in the oven and I’m curious what I can do for next time.

aside from that (which my boyfriend says isn’t even an issue, hah) these are great!

thanks

Rachel November 25, 2012 at 9:10 am

I have no idea why yours didn’t spread. Mine ALWAYS spread. Are you at altitude?
So glad you liked them!!