Cranberry Orange Relish

by Rachel on October 3, 2010

Cranberry Orange Relish.

It’s already October, though here in LA you still wouldn’t know it by the weather.  As most of you know, it was a ridiculous 113 degrees this week.  Despite the heat here in LA, fresh cranberries have appeared in the stores (at Costco at least).  I bought a huge bag at the insistence of my 9 year-old.  He’s quite the budding chef and he has all sorts of ideas about how to use the 64 pounds of cranberries we lugged home yesterday.

I tried to repost my cranberry relish recipe that I originally posted last year, but the links are failing.  The only way I could figure out how to do it was to input the post again.  So, here it is a second time.  More recipes using this relish will follow soon (muffins, bread, scrambled eggs – ok, not so much).  I love making this simple cranberry relish.  It is a three-ingredient recipe that despite its naked simplicity is delightfully complex.

Cranberry Orange Relish

• 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
  • 1 naval orange including peel and pith, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1 cup, less 1 ½ tablespoons sugar

This used to be a recipe for a 16-ounce bag of cranberries and a cup of sugar.  This year I cannot find any 16-ounce bags so I modified by dropping some of the sugar.  If you find a 16-ounce bag add a full cup of sugar.

Place the cranberries and orange pieces in a food processor.  Process on pulse until the orange and cranberries are small enough to make relish.  Remove from the food processor.  Add sugar, mix well. Put in the refrigerator.   The relish will be best if it is made two days in advance of use.

Jen October 3, 2010 at 9:54 am

That’s a beautiful photo. I like to bake my brie topped with a cranberry relish. I will definitely replace my plain relish recipe with your orange infused one.

One year I waited too long to buy extra cranberries and had to go without once the season ended. Now I stock up immediately, freezing them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and then packing in Zipocks so we can use them all year long.

Rachel October 3, 2010 at 11:02 am

Jen: I love your idea about freezing cranberries. I miss them when they aren’t in the stores. I’ll freeze some this time. How long do yours last?

Jen October 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Oh, gosh, they last a long time. I bought several pounds last year and use them all year long in muffins, breads, relish. I just checked and I still have a small bag in the freezer from last year. They don’t have any frost on them and I have not noticed any comprised taste in anything I have made.

I just googled and Epicurean says they last up to a year frozen. They suggest you chop them in the food processor before freezing so they will be ready for cooking. I should probably do some like that too.

I do the same for blueberries when they are so cheap in the summer. But at least you can find frozen blueberries in the winter, not so for cranberries! I don’t understand that.

Rachel October 3, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Jen: It’s all your fault. The whole conversation about frozen cranberries got me thinking about just that, frozen cranberries. Now I have to try making a frozen cranberry mousse with this relish. I’m going to add a little Amaretto and maybe layer it with some crumbled cookies. If it turns out, I’ll post it and you’ll know that it was all your fault.

Rachel October 3, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Jen: I clicked through to your blog. It’s terrific. I wish I’d known about it six years ago when my kids were a bit younger. I’m going to do a post about your blog on my facebook page. Cheers. RKS

Mike October 7, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Is Costco where you buy your cranberries?
Thanks.

Rachel October 7, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Mike – yes, I buy my cranberries, and many other things as well, at Costco. Why do you ask??

Jen@FIRR-Kids! October 8, 2010 at 6:52 am

Rachel, I just checked back here. I follow your blog in my google reader and saw you had a new post up. Thank you for the compliment on my blog! I love children’s books as much as I love baking. I am going to look you up on Facebook.

Rachel October 8, 2010 at 7:06 am

Jen: I’m on Facebook. Use my full name. i’d be delighted to be friends!

jon November 12, 2011 at 7:41 am

Hey Jen,
Just saw your recipe for this relish and I was wondering about one thing. Are those raw cranberries that you use? Or are they cooked beforehand? Trader Joe’s sells a cranberry-orange relish made with valencia oranges that it totally out of this world but there’s only one problem; they’re a seasonal item. I wait for it all year long. Now that I know that it’s this easy I’ll save my $4.99 or whatever i pay. And I can freeze the cranberries and have it all year long. By the way the relish makes a great companion/topping to a simple salad of baby spinach, walnuts, feta, shredded carrots and red onions.

Rachel November 12, 2011 at 7:42 am

Jon:
I use RAW cranberries. You can freeze them when they are in season and then defrost them to make this. I love your salad idea. I’m going to have to work on something like that.
Cheers,