Langostino Chowder

by Rachel on January 10, 2011

Langostino Chowder

Necessity is the mother of invention.  I often find new ingredients at the store and am suddenly faced with inventing a manner in which to serve said ingredients.  These days Costco has inexpensive tiny langostino which look like a rock shrimp and taste like a spiny lobster.  This chowder recipe is perfect for them.  This soup was a HUGE hit at my house.  I hope that Costco continues to carry langostino ’cause we are all over this recipe!!  If you can’t find rock shrimp, or spiny lobster, try chunks of any steaky fish.

Langostino Chowder (serves six)

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 2 stalks celery, finely diced
  • ½ teaspoon dried basil
  • ½ teaspoon thyme
  • ½ teaspoon oregano
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • ½ cup white wine
  • 1 6 ½-oz jar or can chopped clams
  • One 14.5-oz can chopped fire roasted tomatoes (you can use regular canned tomatoes but I am obsessed with the intense flavor of the fire roasted ones)
  • Two 14.5-ounce cans tomato soup (prefer organic – I used Ann’s Organic Tomato Soup which I’ve found at Whole Foods)
  • 1 8-ounce bottle clam juice
  • 2 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes (Russet Potatoes will work)
  • 1 ½- 2 lbs pounds langostino (or spiny lobster, or chopped up shrimp)
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
  • ½ cup cream (optional)

Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, basil, thyme, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes and sauté until the onion is tender, 10-12 minutes.

Drain the clams, reserving the liquid.  Add the reserved clam juice to the pan. Stir in the white wine, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato soup, and bottled clam juice and bring to a simmer.  Add the potatoes and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.  Add the langostino and parsley and simmer until they are just heated through, about 3 minutes.  Stir in the reserved clams and the ½ cup cream (optional but yummy).  Season with salt and pepper (I added 1 tsp salt and no pepper – but we’re not much of a pepper family).  Serve immediately.

Elin January 10, 2011 at 6:11 pm

This chowder looks delicious…mmmm yummy and it is making my salivary glands in full action :p Thanks for sharing the recipe with us :)

Marci October 9, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I made this recipe today! It was so good I felt I was eating chowder in a 3 star michelin restaurant! I, like you, bought some of the langostino at Costco. I used a pound in the jambalaya that I make at the beginning of the year. It didn’t taste right, so I didn’t use the other pound. I put the other pound in the freezer wondering what I could do with it. Well, it is now October and I wanted it gone or it would be freezer burned. I looked online and found a pasta recipe, but your recipe sounded better. Thank goodness I chose yours over the pasta! It was simply fabulous! Thank you for sharing.

Rachel October 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Dear Marci: You are so kind to share your lovely story with me. I’m so glad you liked the chowder. It is the perfect vehicle for that langostino. I’ve tried it a few other ways and I think it’s a bit fishy tasting, don’t you? Maybe that’s why the jambalaya didn’t taste quite the way you wanted it to taste. I put some Costco langostino in a corn, onion, zucchini dish this week and it wasn’t as good as I’d hoped – because the flavor was really too strong. I think you and I should stick with the chowder!!
Best,

EM October 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Can anyone take a guess at the nutritional info? I can’t see how it could be bad, but I was just curious. Making tonight, looks great!

Rachel October 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm

EM: This is a low fat soup. The one issue will be cholesterol. Most shellfish, including shrimp and I assume langostino, are high in cholesterol. If that is something you are trying to avoid you might want to substitute a steaky white fish instead. Other than that there isn’t much that is worrisome in this chowder. I hope you like it!!

Marci October 16, 2011 at 10:59 am

Rachel,
I agree. I think the langostino has a strong taste. That is what put the jambalaya off.

When I made the chowder last week, I froze a container of it for my sister who lives in AZ. They are at their condo this weekend which is in CA. I brought her it yesterday. She just texted me that they had it last night and absolutely loved it! She wants the recipe. :)

Rachel October 16, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Marci- What a nice sisterly thing to do. That’s the sort of thing I do – but I was pretty sure that the rest of America had quit cooking for their relatives and just ordered Dominos Pizza! I’m glad your sister wants the recipe. Tell her to come visit the blog!

Best,

rebecca October 26, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I also bought Langostino’s at Costco last week and was searching the web to find a good recipe, and I chose this one because of the rave reviews. My husband and I were so happy with the results. Delicious!! It is the right time of year to make a nice pot of chowder as the temperatures dip lower and lower. I copied the recipe and will add to my favorites. I’m also taking the recipe to work and sharing with friends. Thank you again.

Rebecca

Rachel October 26, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Rebecca: I think I have to make some myself!! SO glad you found me and this wonderful recipe. I hope you’ll come back. There are lots of other tasty things to try.

All the best,

Jamie December 18, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Rachel,
I also was looking for a recipe for the Costco Langostino purchase and ran across this one. I did the recipe this afternoon and it was a very big hit. My twins could be considered “foodies” at 11 years old and they loved it as well as my parents who are a bit less adventurous when it comes to food. I did the Wolfgang Puck cream of tomato soup and found no need to add the cream at the end. The flavor with the fire roasted tomatoes was outstanding! Thanks for your work in perfecting this one and I will surely pass this one along to our group of friends. With 2 pounds of langostinos in the chowder it had a great amount of seafood per bite. I could have increased the recipe by at least 50% and had more than enough langostinos per serving. Happy Holidays to you and your family!
Jamie

Rachel December 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Jamie – I’m in Utah at the moment and the Costco here didn’t have any Langostino. I might have to head over to your house for a bowl!
Cheers,

Soo January 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I just made this for my family tonight. It turned out great. Easy weeknight meal. Thanks for posting!

Rachel January 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Soo:
It’s a perfect dish for a cold January night, isn’t it?
Best,

DG January 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Tried your recipe today. My family gives it ***** (that’s 5 stars). Your recipe was very simple to follow, my only substitute was the Russet potatoes. Absolutely delicious chowder – Thank You !!

Rachel January 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm

DG:
Thanks! I’m feeling very 5 stars at this moment – all because of YOU.

Louisa February 3, 2012 at 7:29 am

We happened to get the bag of langostino from Costco too and we tried this recipe last night. It was delicious! I substituted 1 lb of the langostino for a lb of chopped shrimp so I can use the second lb for another new recipe. The chowder was great! We loved the fire-roasted tomatoes and the crushed red pepper spice. Warms the insides. Thanks for sharing such a creative recipe. =)