During our Farm to Table cooking class with Chef Clement Gelas in Park City, Utah – we constructed this terrific grilled apricot salad. We used a fresh red currant salad dressing that we made with locally grown fresh currants. I’ve looked around for red currants and they are not easy to find outside of farmer’s markets. This salad would be delicious with a store bought, or homemade balsamic vinaigrette. If you make your own dressing err on the side of a lightly sweet dressing to set off the grilled fruit.
Grilled Apricot & Arugula Salad (6-8 servings)
- 8-10 ripe apricots cut in half
- 8 cups fresh baby arugula
- ½ cup grated Gruyere cheese (drop for vegan version)
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts (make sure they say MEDITERRANEAN pine nuts on the bag, and not China, Russia or anywhere in Eastern Europe – see my post on Pine Mouth for the explanation)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup Red Currant Salad Dressing (or a balsamic vinaigrette)
Heat your BBQ to its highest setting. Spray vegetable spray (such as Pam) on your grill. Place the apricots, cut side down, on the grill. Grill them until they are cooked through and have dark, almost black grill marks. Set them aside.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl toss together the arugula, pine nuts, dried cranberries and salad dressing (the Red Current Salad Dressing Recipe was in a prior post focused on the cooking class I took in Park City, Utah with Chef Clement Gelas). Plate the tossed greens. Place the grilled apricots on top of the greens and then sprinkle the cheese on top of that. VOILA.