This recipe has been handed from one cook to another, to another, to another, with each one tweaking it slightly. My friend Jennie’s mom made it first. She gave her recipe to Jennie. Jennie sent me the original recipe, with Jennie’s adjustments written in the margins. I made all of Jennie’s modifications, and then made my own modest adjustments. It’s pretty darn perfect at this stage. If you tweak it slightly and come up with something totally LIFE ALTERING, for heck’s sake – tell me!!
Chunky Guacamole (makes 3 cups)
- 3-4 large ripe avocados – cut into 3/4″ chunks
- ¾ cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 small Vidalia or Maui onion, finely diced – 1/2 cup
- 1 scallion (green stalk only) – thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (prefer Meyer lemons)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir very gently. Sample guacamole, and adjust spices as necessary. Refrigerate tightly covered (I press Saran Wrap right on top of the guacamole inside of a snap-lidded plastic storage container). You can make this 2-3 hours ahead of time. Much longer and the guacamole will begin to brown.